Post Leaving Certificate (PLC)


 Q1: What is a Post Leaving Certificate (PLC) course?

A. PLCs are full-time courses and last for one to two years. They offer a mixture of practical work, academic work and work experience. They are designed as a step towards skilled employment and, as such, they are closely linked to industry and its needs. Post Leaving Certificate courses adopt an integrated approach, focusing on technical knowledge, core skills and work experience. Courses are delivered in a wide range of subjects, such as business studies, childcare, community care, computing and technology, e-commerce, horticulture, multimedia production, sport and leisure and tourism. The courses generally led to major awards at NFQ Levels 5 and 6.

Return to top

 Q2: What Grants & Allowances are available?


Back to Education Allowance (BTEA)

You can apply for the Back to Education Allowance if you are hoping to attend a Post Leaving Certificate (PLC) course or Institute of Education, full-time.  For further information on moving from Social Welfare to training or education please check for benefits and supports.

SUSI - Student Universal Support Ireland

If you are hoping to attend a Post Leaving Certificate (PLC) course you may be able to get a student grant to help with living expenses while you are in education.  Please check for more information.

Student Finance

This website is a convenient and user-friendly source of information on financial support for further and higher education.  Please check  for more information.

Return to top

 Q3: Can I use my QQI Level 5 or 6 major award to progress into Higher Education?

A: The Higher Education Links Scheme (HELS) gives learners the opportunity to use their QQI Level 5 or 6 major award to apply, through the CAO, for a place in the first year of a higher education programme.

Programmes leading to Level 5 and Level 6 Major Awards are available through providers who have programmes validated with QQI.

Linked awards, special requirements and available higher education programmes are published by the admissions office of the individual higher education institution and on

Return to top

Q4: Where can I find PLC course information?

A. Find out more at You can also find information on Qualifax.

Return to top

Return to FAQ topics


back to top

server 01